New Post – Please read: Rights and Resources
OPERI exists to build awareness about how children learn best, and how to accelerate the transition of public education to an emerging 21st century learning model that will better serve students and their communities.
Below is a sampling of what some forward thinking people are saying about the current state of education and how it needs to change. The views of many more can be found through the OPERI Facebook group – OPERI – Public, the Twitter account @OttawaOperi and the OPERI blog. Please subscribe to these media and encourage others to do likewise. Change happens when people get involved.
OPERI is based in Ottawa, but it seeks to share and learn with other communities working to transform public education. Please let us know what you are doing in your community to help make change happen.
An Introduction to Forward Thinking People
By Ottawa Thinkers and Innovators
- Abby Karos and André Morsen (co-founders of Ottawa’s COMPASS learning centre)
- Peter Gamwell (retired OCDSB superintendent)
- Joel Westheimer (University of Ottawa education professor, author, CBO Morning education commentator)
- Joanne Burbidge and Jacqueline Whelan (Ottawa public school teachers)
By Thinkers and Innovators in Other Places
- Prince Ea
- Eddy Zhong
- Sir Jon Jones
- John Moravec and text of Manifesto 15
- Alfie Kohn
- Logan LaPlante
- Sir Ken Robinson
- Suli Breaks
- Rachel Roberts
- Noam Chomsky
- Peter Gray
- Judy Arnall
- Peter Hutton
- Robert Epstein
- John Gatto
- Sugata Mitra
- Gabor Mate
- Will Richardson – 9 Elephants in the (Class)Room That Should “Unsettle” Us
- Team Kate – Chaos in the Classroom or a Resource-Starved Full-Inclusion Policy
- Sara – School adjustment symptoms. What is ‘normal’?
- Michael Reist – Too Many Kids Are Suffering At school
- Laura Grace Weldon – Five Ways to Transcend the School Mindset
- Parents speak – If you’re a parent, what issue/questions worry you most about the education of your kids?
- Luba Vangelova – Steve Hargadon: Escaping the Education Matrix
- Carlo Ricci – Journal of Unschooling and Alternative Learning